Thursday, June 2, 2016

Review: Paper Butterflies by Lisa Heathfield


Raw and powerful, this story will stay with you for a long time
Title: Paper Butterflies
Author: Lisa Heathfield
Publisher: Electric Monkey, UK
My ratings: 5 out of 5 stars
Released: 30th June, 2016
R eading Seed by Lisa Hetfield had been an experience and an eye opener for me. Tugging at my heart string the ending had left me wanting more. So I went in to Paper butterflies with a little trepidation and hope that she will blow my socks off with her writing. And I’m pleased to report she successfully does.

Paper Butterflies is the story of June who lives with her step mother and stepsister along with her busy father. On the surface it may look like a happy family, but it’s hiding dark secrets just under its surface. Amongst it all June’s ray of light in her life is Blister, her secret friend who belongs only to her and is untainted by her life.

I adored this book, in a way even more than Seed. It is clear that Lisa Heathfeild is coming into her own with her writing because each book is getting better than the last. I left the premise vague as I believe some of the emotions you feel from the plot is derived from the slow unveiling of June’s life.

Paper Butterflies is not for the faint hearted as it deal of a lot of issues life, racism, abuse, bullying and neglect. At many instances I found myself tearing up and getting angry, balling my fists and ready to exact some revenge on June’s behalf. I’m a person with coloured skin but fortunately I have never experienced racism or bullying yet.

But what is so special about this book you ask as there are a dime a dozen books with address similar themes you ask? Well, it’s the authors writing. She writes with such gentleness for her characters that I feel, she genuinely cares about them. Horrific events may occur to these characters but not once do I feel that the author is using it as a plot device instead she imbibes them with so much innocence despite the cruelty around them that it tears the reader apart. I truly feel that she is an expert in ‘showing’ instead of ‘telling’ and that is what digs a hole in your heart.

Overall, a fabulous, heart wrenching, throat clogging emotional storying which hits you where it hurts. A must read for anyone and everyone.

Review copy provided by Electric Monkey via NetGalley Releases on the 30th June, 2016

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting